Mourning to Dancing

This blog serves as a way to share my heart after losing the one I loved, Jody Moreing Frankfurt, to lung cancer. My hope is that as I learn to mourn her loss, that I will glorify God. Thank you for reading this blog! Please feel free to comment - it is a tremendous encouragement to me.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

To What End?


First, I thank you dear friends for reading this blog. Your comments are so treasured - and are fascinating to me - because of how God Himself uses them in my life. Your words exemplify the notion of "sharing one another's burdens". I wish you could experience how your words lift my heart. More than that - they cause me to worship YHWH.

I am most blessed in spite of the pain of these days. My daily experience is almost bizarre. I hunger for the Word as never before - and that make sense - because that is where God speaks directly to me - no barriers (except for my sinfulness). I commune with the Lord and it is sweet above all.
Psa. 119:25 My soul cleaves to the dust; Revive me according to Thy word.
Then I face the day and it is cold and lonely. I'm frozen. So, I do what my pastor friends have taught me - I preach to myself - and I rehearse that God is not unaware of what He is doing in my life - He sees it all! I cannot know everything He knows. I therefore trust in His character - which is thrice Holy, Loving, All Powerful and Just.

I drive off to work. I am surrounded by amazing, talented people who love me unconditionally. I am stimulated and refreshed - even if the work is intense. Then I leave for home. I am suddenly confronted with the fact that I won't be sharing my day with Jody. She won't be sharing her day with me. I fight the traffic - and then get busy with the mail and mealtime and the dog and the stuff that must be done. But the whole time I am nagged by the reality that I'm horribly alone. The pity party begins... To what end am I laboring? What am I building? Who am I doing all this for? Who cares?

The Spirit takes over and I begin to pray - and rehearse all the blessings and favor God has shown me - a pathetic worm of a man. I confess my unbelief - my lack of trust. I pour out my heart to Him. He listens - He prompts me to look into His Word and I read 2 Cor. 12:9:
"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness."
And I read this blessed sentence:
In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.
And this one:
Phil. 1:6 For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
And then:
Rev. 21:3-5 And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He shall dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself shall be among them, and He shall wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there shall no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away." And He who sits on the throne said, "Behold, I am making all things new."
And the powerful Word of God ricochets in my mind - and I am comforted supernaturally by the Spirit. Thank You, Father God. Your grace was sufficient for today - like it always is.

4 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott,

Although I seldom comment here, you are on my heart, and I check the blog most days. I can imagine that at times it takes a great deal to even muster the motivation to make additional posts. But what you say is valuable - God is using it and will use it in ways that cannot be anticipated. Moreover, it's helpful to know how you're doing, how we can pray for you in "this" hour, etc. Please know that you are remembered.

In His care...

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Scott F. said...

Thank you my friends.

 
At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cScott,
I'm reading your new blog for the first time this evening. Your words are piercing. As I read how you're feeling, what you're going through right now, I just share a kind of wincing sadness and I cry. I think of you at home now and how things must be so different. I remember how I used to comment to Jody on how I loved whatever fragrance she would wear when she'd come over for Bible studies. We would chat about different perfumes. I remember her little lipstick container/mirror...you're right - her red lips framed such a lovely, lovely smile. Alot of times lately, I find myself standing outside in the evening at the top of my driveway and I remember chatting and walking down my driveway with Jody after our studies...Always a hug and a wave and a big smile she gave. Those meetings were such treasures to me. Not just because they're in retrospect, but I always felt filled with much to think and pray about after our get-togethers. I think of you and how you're doing at different times of the day. I think about all of the simple things that you both shared - walks, talks, meals, mail, music, praying (she was such a prayer warrior - she really prayed so soulfully and exemplary). I think about Jody everyday. I pray for you Scott, that for each new day, one day at a time, God would bestow His grace on you and give you comfort. But just knowing you how I do, how trusting you are of Him, I am confident that He holds you in precious regard right now and that He will gently bring you through the difficult moments during your days. I think I am only one of many who care very deeply about you. You are family to so many. You give so much to so many that you can't realize how you have affected others. If there was anything that one could do to ease the human pain of all this, surely it would be done for you. Beyond prayer and (typed) words, I wish I could do more. Just please know you're thought of very often and loved by so many.
k.p.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Scott F. said...

Thank you all for these amazing posts. Such a blessing and encouragement!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home