Mourning to Dancing

This blog serves as a way to share my heart after losing the one I loved, Jody Moreing Frankfurt, to lung cancer. My hope is that as I learn to mourn her loss, that I will glorify God. Thank you for reading this blog! Please feel free to comment - it is a tremendous encouragement to me.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Thankfulness



Jody was never more adorable then when she would kick in to Thanksgiving meal mode. She loved to entertain in her home. She was good at it too. I'll miss the "Turkey Dance" ritual. (A little thing she would do with the bird before it went into the oven. You had to be there.) But my fondest memories are not of the hearth and home. They are of her sweet heart - always looking for a reason to praise and thank God. I am thoroughly convinced that she went to all the trouble of making an amazing table and meal primarily so she could break out her handmade scripture cards - which were these adorable decorated cards designed to stimulate conversation about what each guest was thankful for.

When you enjoy your loved ones on this Thanksgiving, I encourage you to approach it like it's the last one you'll ever have. Be sure to take the focus off the food and the football and instead place the emphasis on the fact that God lets you take your next breath. Thank Him for the miracle of Christ's redemptive work. Thank Him for the glorious design of the gospel and for the Spirit that moves on a heart so it can beat for Him. Thank God for grace that is greater than our sin. Ditch the sentimental and pursue the truly meaningful. Confess your sin. If I knew last Thanksgiving what I know now, I would have made more of that time. God loves a thankful heart.

Col. 3:15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful.

2Sam. 22:50 "Therefore I will give thanks to Thee, O LORD, among the nations, And I will sing praises to Thy name."

2Cor. 2:14 But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place.

1Th. 5:16-18 Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

The reality that Jody is with the One she loves above all this Thanksgiving - makes me thankful beyond words.

7 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Scott...
How rich is God's grace to us each day, and how much our hearts are with you each day as you go through this journey without your beloved bride. Thank you for allowing us to see your heart and share your sorrow.
Not a day has passed without thoughts of Jody, prayers for you, and praise to our great God who gave us the joy & privilege of such a friendship. I've journaled many of the ways God brings Jody to mind, whether during a Sunday morning message, studying the Word, walking Lickie :), creating a mess in the kitchen, appreciating His creation...the list is long.
God continues to use Jody's example of living worship, as He does with your life as well, and I am being sharpened by that, and He is being honored by your commitment to stand firm and offer Him praise, by His grace.
"We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you...because of the hope laid up for you in heaven...we have not ceased to pray for you and ask that you be filled with the knowledge of His will...that you will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord...to please Him in all respects...strengthened with all power...joyously giving thanks to the Father...for He has rescued us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sin." Col. 1:9-14
Thank you for the reminder to fix our eyes on the Author and Perfector of our faith. We are so thankful for you and your friendship and love.
Larry & Lauren

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Scott F. said...

Wow Mia. Thank you for your love blasts! I am strengthened by you so very much.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Scott F. said...

Thank you Lauren and Larry! What a blessing. XOXO

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Scottland,
Last week I had the women's leadership in my home to listen to Jody. Yesterday I did a devotional for a bridal shower. I was saying how in Gen.2:24 men should leave his father and mother and the two become one flesh. But the interesting thing is we only stand before God to give an account for ourselves and I mentioned how for 17 years you and Jody were married but you did not end your life on Sept. 30th. You must remain faithful til He calls you home. For all of us Scotty our lives have been greatly impacted by you both and I thank a lot of Thanksgiving dinners will be different this year as we enjoy Gods faithfulness in light of Jody's home-going. Thank you for your friendship and love and Happy Thanksgiving! We have so much to praise our precious Father for this week and always! In Christ alone, John and Helen

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband and I are thankful for you. May the Lord fill your heart with inexplicable joy.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Scott,
Thank you for sharing your precious memories with us. We pray that your Thanksgiving this year will be blessed in a special way by our Lord.

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

We continue to pray for you,
Shane & Brenda

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Scott F. said...

What blessings to my heart. Thank you all. I treasure the moments I sit and read the words here - and the scripture is such a comfort.

Is the Lord not Gracious? Is He not Holy? Is He not Ultimate in all? And yet He cares for each of our lives so intimately.

I know He will bless you all today because of Who He is, and your tenderness towards me.

With love and respect.

S

 

Post a Comment

<< Home