Mourning to Dancing

This blog serves as a way to share my heart after losing the one I loved, Jody Moreing Frankfurt, to lung cancer. My hope is that as I learn to mourn her loss, that I will glorify God. Thank you for reading this blog! Please feel free to comment - it is a tremendous encouragement to me.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

As Far as Dancing is Concerned


Life is complicated.

One year ago, Jody was in ICU. It was a miracle that she survived her "crash" the week earlier, and we had nothing but hope in our hearts that she would graduate from ICU soon. God was so near and tender to us as we rehearsed our lives with words of deep love and priceless openess and tenderness.

She was - at that point - thirty days from her death. I truly thought we would still see God's hand rescue us from cancer. One more test - one more break - one more step and surely we would hit bottom and the trial would reverse! In fact, it was not until Sept. 27th that I gave in to the idea that He would indeed take her and the reversal would not come. Since then, I have learned to accept the fact that indeed Jody is more alive now than if God had reversed her disease and she was here with me right now.

Today I had my first doctors appointment since she died. What I didn't see coming was how emotional I would become in that environment. I wasn't in the little exam room for more than a minute when I suddenly became aware of the all too familiar sharps container, the blood pressure equipment, the medical "stuff" all over the place. Suddenly it was as if I was back at one of the hundreds of appointments with Jody sitting on the exam table in her cute green "Doctors Appt." outfit. I wept and wept and wept. Finally when the doctor came in - I had some explaining to do - and she was very kind. The whole event really took me by surprise. (And my blood pressure reading was quite high!)

Needless to say - "firsts" are the hardest.

But there is some light in my life. Jesus Christ has been my steady companion. He has shown me that His love, grace and provision is sufficient for every single circumstance in life.

Jody wanted me to "move on". She said so many times as she tried to prepare me for the inevitable reality I did not want to accept. The reality that some day I would have to face life without her - and that I would have to rebuild a shattered life. It has been the toughest thing I've ever faced. No one can prepare you for being a widower.

Moving on has been a slow, deliberate act of faith. I have made mistakes not seeing how vulnerable I am. I have hurt people that I cared about. I have had to strangle things in my life to make room for important things. But God never changes and that is the point of this post. God is a restorer. Even Job was restored beyond what he could ask or think.

The Lord has brought someone very special into my life. When the time is right - I will reveal more - but for now - would you please pray for me as I walk the strange line between utter despair over the past, and hope filled joy towards a new future?

I am not dancing yet - but I can hear the orchestra tuning up. And I can see Jody smiling.

10 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger rick said...

I'm praying for you tonight Scott. Our God is truly awesome, and He longs for you to make the most of the life He has given you on earth.

Our Lord has taken Jody home, and one day He'll do the same with you. In the meantime, live your life fully for the Savior. Even in the tough times, for it's often those times that Christ shines brightest and the people around you can't help but take note. And we praise God for those times.

Rick

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger The Resident Writer said...

Thank you for your honesty, Scott. I had to chuckle inside that two people mentioned to me Sunday that you had a special friend very close. Despite all appearances, it seems we go to a small church. I am praying for you, even as I pray for myself, that I would not allow Satan to steal the joy of the unsurpassable riches we have in Christ.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Veralynn said...

Dear Mr. Scotty!

I know four men (you included) who have watched their beloved wives go through cancer and ultimately go to be with God in heaven within the last year. Two of those men have walked that line that you are speaking of, and they have both been blessed with "special someones." This relationship is cause for praise and more prayer! The Father will guide you along.

Much love,
Veralynn

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I PRAY THAT YOU WILL CONTINUE TO GROW IN HIS GRACE AND LOVE I WAS PRAYING THAT IN HIS TIME YOU WOULD HAVE SOME TO SHARE WITH... I WILL PRAY EARNESTLY FOR YOU MY BROTHER THAT SOON YOU WOULD NOT ONLY DANCE BUT SALSA...
P.R.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger AnnieFannyfozenheimer said...

Hi My Brother Scotty,

It's been so long since I posted anything on your blog. I like what P.R. said, "I WILL PRAY EARNESTLY FOR YOU MY BROTHER THAT SOON YOU WOULD NOT ONLY DANCE BUT SALSA..." You know my heart Scott, and that's my prayer for you too...and I know Jody would add to the list, do the mashed potatoes, the froog, the twist, & some ballet while you're at it! "Spin ballarina spin!!"

I (and all of us up in Northern Cal) grieve along side of you during this year anniversary. Loosing our sister, life long friend and for Mia and I, our 'mother' in many ways, has broken our hearts. We are so glad for you as God is moving you forward with this special new relationship. We know this is God's plan for you as strange as it may feel at times.

The absolute reality, that Jody is more alive now than she ever was here on earth keeps me joyful in my deep grief. I am wearing one of Jody's comfy flannel shirts now, and it sure feels good.

I will forever proudly bear the name given to me by my sister Jody,
AnnieFannyfozenheimer! :o)

OXOXOXOXOXOXOX,

Your Sister Forever

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
It's been a while since we've seen you, but you've been on our hearts, and we have continued to think of and pray for you. We're glad to hear of your recent encouraging news and will add that to our prayers as well. With the anniversary of Jody's home-going just around the corner, we too have thought of her and what a blessing she was to us and so many. We love you. God Bless.
Scott & Ruth

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Scott F. said...

Thanks so much Scotty and Ruth! I'm around at GCC - sitting in other places first hour and have been checking out Crossroads 2nd hour - and travel this summer too.

I will see you soon and thank you so much for your love and prayers!

:-)

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it the sound of happy feet off in the distance?

Dance, my brother. Dance.

pjh

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not at all wanting to be cavalier, dismissive, or insensitive--but Jacob danced the rest of his life with a limp. Be it a limp or a scar, whether its a shuffle or a waltz, you can dance.

The awkwardness of getting the beat and developing the groove--you remember that. Listening to the Temptations or the Four Tops. And then thinking you might have it but being afraid of what you look like on the floor...but then enjoying it too much to care.

Be A Dancer

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger wenwenmull said...

sweet Scotty--my prayers are for you, Jodgee's sisters and brothers, neices and nephews and all that know and love her...this has been such a year of loss and sadness, but your love is unending and your faith so profound...I miss her sweetness and those fabulously funny statements, her quick wit and her massive love for the Lord...so extraordinary you are, so amazingly loyal...we love you, wenwen and martin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home